A State by State Guide for Lodging Rental Bonds

Always make sure that the Bond has been paid in full before giving the keys to your new tenants.

Laws and procedures relating to Bonds differ from State to State.

If you have investments in more than one State/Territory, it is a good idea to educate yourself about the differences.

Also, not lodging Bonds on time or correctly, can result in a fine being issued.

Here is all you need to know:



Maximum Bond is 1 month’s rent. Before requesting the bond, make sure you have a signed lease with the first month’s rent paid. You can lodge the bond online or by post.

If you lodge online, go through the RTBA’s online portal and register.  The money can be collected via direct debit.

If you lodge the old fashioned way, collect the bond from the tenant by money order or cheque addressed to the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority, you can download the form here: https://rentalbonds.vic.gov.au/Bond/Lodgment/Begin.

All parties need to sign the form and then send it with payment to the RBTA within 10 days of receiving the bond. The form should be sent to : Residential Tenancies Bond Authority, Locked Bag 007, Wendouree Vic 3355.


Maximum Bond is 4 weeks rent. To collect Bond in NSW, you have to register with Fair Trading NSW.

All landlords in NSW have to use the online service as the first option for their tenants.  Once you have registered, you must invite the tenants to use the service and ensure they have BPAY etc.

If you use paper form, download the form from the RBO System, fill it out and get the tenant to sign, then post the form with payment to the address on the form or in person at a SERVICE NSW CENTRE.

This has to be done within 10 working days and Fair Trading will issue a confirmation when the bond is processed.


Maximum Bond is 4 weeks rent or unlimited if rent is more than $700 per week.  In QLD, landlords need to lodge the bond with the Residential Tenancies Authority.

Fill out the form and request payment from the tenant. The bond can be paid by cheque, money order, BPAY or paid directly to the landlord.

If tenants want to pay via BPA, the RTA will send the details to the landlord. If this is the case, lodge the bond a week before the beginning of the lease, to ensure the full payment is processed.

If you receive cash or direct debit from the tenant, you must provide a receipt and make the bond payment to the RTA.

If the money is being paid via BPAY, you can upload the form online. If the money is being sent via cheque or money order, it needs to be addressed to the Residential Tenancies Authority, GPO Box 390, Brisbane QLD 4001.


The maximum bond is 4 weeks rent but can be increased after 2 years.

Tenants need to pay landlords directly through cash, cheque or credit card as there is no centralized bond institution in the NT.

You need to provide tenants with a receipt with specific information like dates, names, amount paid and address of the property. The bond needs to be deposited in a bank or other financial institution in the NT.


The maximum bond is 4 weeks rent but landlords can add $260 if the tenant has a pet and can also ask for more if the rent is over $1200 per week.

In WA bonds are lodged through the Department of Commerce. You can accept Cash, Cheque, Credit Card or Direct Debit. In the case of a money order, the tenant needs to make it out to the Bond Administrator.

A tenant can only pay in cash at the Department of Commerce. If your preference is for the tenant to have the funds direct debited, the funds won’t be guaranteed, so lodge the form by email a week before handing over keys to the property.

You may collect the bond yourself and provide your own bank details on the lodgement form, but you need to provide a receipt when you receive the money.

Landlords need to complete a form from the Department of Commerce and have all parties sign. The form must be lodged within 14 days of receiving the bond.

Forms can be sent by email or posted to Bond Administration, Department of Commerce, Locked Bag 14, Cloisters Square, Perth WA 6850.

Email: bondadmin@commerce.wa.gov.au(can only be used if Direct Debit option is selected).


The maximum bond is 4 weeks rent but if rent is more than $250 per week, you can ask for up to 6 weeks and more bond after 2 years.

You must first register for Residential Bonds Online which is the state’s online service for managing bonds.  You can also lodge bonds using paper forms and accept money through direct debit or cheque payable to the Residential Tenancies Fund.

Landlords need to complete the form from the Residential Tenancies Funds, have all parties sign and lodge. You must give tenants a receipt within 48 hours of payment. The form must then be lodged at a CBS facility or sent via mail to Residential Tenancies Fund, Consumer and Business Services, Customer Service Centre, 91 Grenfell St Adelaide SA 5000.

In SA, you must lodge a bond within 2 weeks of receiving full or part payment of the bond. If the tenant doesn’t sign the form, the bond must still be lodged within 2 weeks.


The maximum bond is 4 weeks rent and needs to be lodged with the Rental Deposit Authority. Tenants cannot pay by cash, only bank cheques and money orders, and these need to be made payable to the Rental Deposit Authority.

Once the money is accepted, the Bond Lodgement form can be downloaded and signed by all parties and then lodged at any Service Tasmania shop. Tenants can also lodge the form and pay directly to the Rental Deposit Authority by post.


Maximum bond is 4 weeks rent. Tenants need to provide the landlord with a money order or bank cheque made payable to the Office of Rental Bonds. The bond lodgement form has space for credit card details , but these funds aren’t guaranteed, so you should email the form to rb@act.gov.au a week before the start of the lease. This way you can be sure the funds have been collected by the Office of Rental Boards, before the lease starts.

Landlords need to complete the form from the Office of Rental Bonds, making sure every party signs. The form needs to be lodged within 2 weeks of receiving the bond. Once it’s lodged, the ORB will send a receipt to all parties.


Don't forget to upload all forms onto RealRenta to form part of the applicable tenancy file.

Start your free trial of RealRenta here:https://app.realrenta.com/Signup.aspx


Jason Gwerder
Friday, 2 August 2019

Join our mailing list Receive Free Property Tips and news

Now Partnered With


Contact Us

1300 11 RENT (7368)