How depreciation works for a new investment property

Tax allowances often make investment properties profitable, and depreciation is one of the best allowances out there.

For the average Australian, tax allowances make property investing affordable.

Depreciation on investment property is an essential tax allowance to claim.

In this article, we’ll look at depreciation on new properties.

Depreciation is how much the Australian Tax Office (ATO) says assets decrease in value as they age.

For example, on a $2,000 desktop computer they allow four years.

This gives you a $500 tax deduction, per year, over four years.



Property investors claim depreciation in two ways:

1. Capital works deductions

This is the cost of building the investment property (i.e. the construction costs). This depreciation is spread over 40 years - the length of time the ATO says a building lasts before it needs replacing. For instance, on a new building that cost $200,000 to build, you could make a $5,000 tax claim each year for 40 years (i.e. 2.5% per year).

2. Depreciating assets

The ATO’s definition of depreciating assets is "… an asset that has a limited effective life and can reasonably be expected to decline in value over the time it is used. Depreciating assets include such items as computers, electric tools, furniture and motor vehicles." For property investors, this might include light fittings, stoves, carpets and even the humble rubbish bin.

The ATO lists all items you can claim — and for how long. Known as ‘the effective life’, this is how long they say an asset lasts before it needs replacement. For example, carpet has an estimated life of 10 years, a kitchen stove 12 years, and that bin will last a decade.

You have two choices when claiming this tax allowance:

1. Prime cost method

This gives you an equal tax deduction each year over the item’s effective life.

2. Diminishing value method

This gives you higher claims in the first years of the item’s effective life, and smaller claims later on.

Most investors opt for diminishing value, as it will give you a higher depreciation rate earlier.

Your accountant will be able to advise which method is best for you.

How do you claim depreciation?

It's a good idea to engage a quantity surveyor. Quantity surveyors are experts at assessing the value of construction work. They’ll be able to provide you with a report on the rate of depreciation claimable on your property, and when you can claim it.

You can then send the report to your accountant, who in turn will claim it on your tax return.

Some quantity surveyors are better than others so look for a specialist firm who’ll put the time in to visit your property.

For info on what you can claim, check out the Australian Tax Office’s (ATO), Rental Property 2014 (PDF, 1.26MB).

Source: https://www.nab.com.au/personal/life-moments/home-property/invest-property/claim-depreciation

Marlene Liontis
Friday, 18 January 2019

Join our mailing list Receive Free Property Tips and news

Now Partnered With


Contact Us

1300 11 RENT (7368)