More than 30% of the NSW population rent the property they live in.
The changes due in March will increase protection and
certainty for tenants, as well as clarifying the rights and obligations of both
tenants and landlords.
The key changes are:
· Landlords must provide a rental property that
meets 7 minimum standards (fit for habitation)
· New disclosure obligations for landlords/agents
and new remedies for tenants when the obligations are not met
· Landlords must ensure all smoke alarms are
· It will be easier for tenants to make minor
alterations and install fixtures
· Mandatory set fees for lease-breaks to apply to
all new fixed-term leases that are 3 years or less
· Limiting rent increases to once every 12 months
for periodic leases
· Fair Trading NSW will have new powers to
investigate and issue orders for landlords to carry out repairs/maintenance, or
for tenants to fix damage.
Use RealRenta to
communicate with your tenants and take advantage of the automated date and time
–stamping for all transactions and interactions.
Start your Free trial
Wednesday, 8 January 2020